CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

C.R.O.W.

I'm not exactly sure what C.R.O.W. stands for, but on this day I sure found out what they are all about.

So I'm driving down treeline on my way home and I see this huge bird in the middle of the Colonial Country Club median with is wings stretched out and it looks like it's having a hard time flying. At first, I thought about just driving by, but something told me to turn around and see what was wrong. So I bust a U-turn and pull up to see what was wrong. To my surprise it was a vulture who looked like it's legs were broken, probably from the cars passing by. I saw some sort of carcass in the street with other vultures swarming around so I assumed that it was trying to get something to eat and didn't get out of the way in time. Anyhow, I called my friend to see if she knew the number to some sort of animal rescue service that could help this bird. She told me about this organization called C.R.O.W and said that they were wonderful and rehabilitated injured animals and released them back into the wild. PERFECT!! So I dialed the number and this super friendly lady on the other end explained this to me...

"Ok, this is what I'm going to need You to do... I wasn't exactly sure what all she was saying, my concentration was paused when I heard her say "you". (Wait! What do you mean, I need to do??? "you mean to tell me that no one is coming out to save this bird, I'm actually going to have to do it??? Ok, deep breathes...you can do this!) So I ask the lady to kindly repeat what I have to do and this is what she said:

"You are doing a wonderful thing for this bird, just remember that even though you might be frightened of the bird, she is more frightened of you, (are you sure about that??) But she is injured and needs your help"

First I need you to get a large box, like a recycling bin and a couple of large towels. ok, Check! Then she said that I needed to put the towel over the bird being sure to cover it's beak and eyes so that she won't snip at you. (OMG, seriously!!) And then put the bird in the bin and bring her to one of the drop off locations.

So, I gather myself together and try to help this bird. It took me several times to try and get the towel over its head. It kept flapping its huge wings and floping the towel all over the place. Mind you, my kids are in the car this whole time and countless people are driving by looking but not helping. I can only imagine what they were thinking! So I finally manage to get the towel over it's head. And amazingly, the bird became completely still and calm. It was unreal. So I very gently and slowly scoop it up from both sides using the excess towel on either side and place it in the recycling bin. As I'm driving down Daniels talking to my friend, the realization of it all started to hit. I'm driving down the road with my kids and a vulture in the back. What the heck am i gonna do if this bird gets loose and I have a vulture flapping around my car!! My friend is DYING on the other end laughing at me! And insists that she's going to meet me at the animal hospital because this is too priceless to miss. Thanks Leah!

I walked the bird up to the front desk and began to tell the ladies there that I rescued an animal and needed to drop it off for C.R.O.W. They said ok, and then asked what kind of animal it was. I said "A vulture". The look on their faces was hilarious! They scrunched up their noses and were totally disgusted. "Make sure you wash your hands really well, those things can be really nasty!" LOL, Thanks! So I filled out the appropriate paperwork and left. And that my friends is my good deed of the YEAR!! I honestly can't believe I rescued a freaking vulture...but hey, I suppose all sorts of animals need a little TLC sometimes, even if the animal is a carcass eating vulture.

Oh and by the way, I never got my recycling bin returned to me!


Go Lucinda Go! I'm an animal rescuer!



You can see it's big claws and feather at the bottom. This was my proof that there was actually a bird in there!

5 comments:

megan said...

Wow, you're brave!!!
Thanks for the comment, it's nice to meet you :)

Amber Greenawalt said...

O.M.G.! I almost peed my pants that was so funny! I can't believe you saved a vulture! I wish I was there to see it! xoxo

Amber Greenawalt said...

p.s. Just wanted to encourage you to keep blogging. at least if we are far apart this way I can hear about what's going on in Cindaworld.

carriewclemons said...

Okay Lucinda. You really do have a big heart girlfriend. There is no way I would have saved a vulture. You had me LOL with your story though. Too funny!

Carissa said...

I seriously laughed out loud while reading this. haha just imagining you saving the vulture is hilarious. I'd be freaking out too that the thing would get loose in my car, haha. You're awesome for saving her though!