Today is the first day in like almost a week that it wasn't gloomy, dark, damp and drizzling. Thank God! The kids and I were going crazy staying at home for the past few days. It's so nice to get out of the house. It couldn't have been a more perfect day to be bright and shiny either. Our clubhouse had a Kids Aquatic Day scheduled and it was beautiful outside.
The other day I got one of those bike trailer things for the kids because I wanted to take them on a bike ride. Target had one on sale so I was finally able to snag one up. But because it's been such crappy weather lately I wasn't able to take it out for a spin. So this morning I assembled it and got the boys ready for our bike ride up to the pool. I was surprised at how they both were willing to wear their helmets around the house for almost 15 minutes while I got our things together. But wouldn't you guess that as soon as we were ready to go Rylan threw a shit-fit about wearing it to ride in bike trailer. I'm blaming this one on Glenn. I knew that if I wanted them to wear their helmets all the time for this thing that it had to start from day 1. Unfortunately when I made my way outside with Aidan, Glenn had already put Rylan in the trailer without his helmet on. UGH! That's when the kicking and screaming began. So I explained that if he wanted to ride then he had to wear his helmet. When he still wouldn't wear it we made him stay with daddy while I rode up and down the street with Aidan, thinking that he would realize we were serious about the helmet issue. So we tried it again. He again threw a fit. I finally got him to calm down with a lollipop. It was hot outside and I didn't feel like dealing with the helmet fiasco anymore. I don't care if I had to give him a Popsicle, cupcake, cookies or candy, there was no way I was giving in with the helmet rule...and guess what, he wore that sucker all the way up to the clubhouse.
When we finally got there I was delighted to see lots of kids and parents. Many of our activities have been cancelled lately due to lack of participation, but it seemed like other parents were sick of the rain and ready to get out as I was. Coach B was awesome. He brought with him kick boards, surfboards, and diving sticks/rings. He went through all different kinds of swimming techniques. All the kids were having a great time. I thought it was really cool when they started doing paddle races with the surfboards. Aidan and Rylan even got to go for a ride on them.
I also worked on their swimming skills a little bit one at a time. Last summer Aidan took swim lessons where they teach them to blow bubbles, float on their backs, flip to their belly, put their face under the water, jump in the pool, and climb out. So remembering all the stuff we learned last year, I went over all of it again with both the boys. I feel terrible that I don't get to work with them all the time on swimming. I don't like that they are so dependent on water floaties. It's just too hard with 2 little ones so close in age. So far though, they both love the water and don't have any fear. When I do get the chance to work with them one on one they do really well! Aidan doesn't really have the patience for it because he just wants to Go, but he really did great today with the kick boards. He wanted to be able to swim like the big kids and would take off as soon as he saw all of them start swimming. Rylan is learning everything and doing awesome. He loves to go under water, blow bubbles, jump off the side of the pool and climb out.
After we were done with the pool we got back on our bike and headed home. It was a wonderful day at the pool.
Tonight should be eventful. My parents can't watch the boys for us so they're coming along for our kickball game. I'll post another update on the disappointing results from last week and also what goes down tonight!
Be the Heroine: Lucille Ball Infusion
10 years ago



0 comments:
Post a Comment